ARCHITECTURE

Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Cemeteries
Built in 1879, this Gothic Revival-style church represents over two centuries of history. It's the oldest Presbyterian church in Lee County. Also, on the grounds are the church's manse and various historical cemeteries.
Endor Iron Furnace
Explore the ruins of an American Civil War iron forge constructed somewhere between 1862 and 1864. The forge stands 35 ft. tall and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Former Sanford High School
Now home to the Mann Center, the former Sanford High School building was built in 1925 . It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
House in the Horseshoe
Also known as the Alston house, this plantation home is named for its location on a horseshoe bend in the Deep River. The house features antiques of the colonial and Revolutionary War eras.
John D. McIver Farm
This mid-19th century, exotic revival, two-story farmhouse was built in 1855. Also, on the property are the preserved wooden gate posts and fence, meat house, water well and corn crib.
Lee County Courthouse
Built in 1908, the Lee County Courthouse is an example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. It made the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Historic Railroad House
The Railroad House is a historic home in downtown Sanford. It was built for the depot agent in 1972 by the Raleigh and Augusta Air Line Railroad. Currently, it operates as a museum.
Seaboard Milling Company
This three-story, roller mill built in 1915-1916 still stands in Sanford, NC today. In 2002, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Temple Theatre
For decades, the Temple Theatre was Lee County’s principal seat of entertainment. Built in 1925, it reopened in 1984 as a community theater and has hosted spectacular shows and musicals ever since.
W. B. Wicker School
Also know as the Lee County Training school, this historic building dates back to 1927. It served as Sanford and Lee County’s African American high school until it was decommissioned in 1969.